A weight loss plateau can be a very frustrating experience. If you’ve been working hard at eating healthy and exercising, nothing can be worse than seeing a stall in the number on the scale going down.
It’s important to know, however, that not all plateaus are bad – they aren’t always caused by a mistake or temporary “falling off the bandwagon”.
There are some ways that you can help avoid a weight loss plateau as well as helpful hints to help you get over it and continue on your journey.
Tips to Avoid or Get Over a Weight Loss Plateau
1. Stop and ask yourself a few questions at the first signs of a plateau. These include:
- Am I still eating the right foods and number of calories?
- Am I eating fewer calories than I am burning every day?
- Am I sticking to exercise routine that gradually increases in frequency and intensity?
- Am I managing my stress levels in a healthy manner?
If you answer ‘yes’ to each question, then you are experiencing a normal weight loss plateau. More than likely, your body is just shifting to a healthier way of living, which may interrupt your weight loss from time to time.
2. Write down any problems you are experiencing – basically, to any question for which your answer is ‘no’. Has your eating gone bad due to the holidays or stress? Has an illness or injury halted your weight loss? Have you skipped workouts? Are you losing motivation to lose weight?
3. Find 2-3 possible solutions for each problem. This can be as easy as reverting back to eating healthy, changing your workout routines, or doing things to increase your motivation. Begin with one solution, trying it out for 1-2 weeks. If it works, you should see your weight loss plateau going away. If not, move onto a new solution.
4. Change up your exercise routines. Whether it is a natural plateau or not, sometimes revamping your workouts can allow you to overcome the stall. Add 20 minutes of aerobic exercise (walking, jogging, etc) and an additional set of reps to your strength exercises.
Weight Loss Motivation: 28 Powerful Motivation Hacks, Secrets and Strategies for Bulletproof Motivation to Lose Weight!Fitlosophy Fitbook: Fitness and Nutrition JournalEatSmart Precision Digital Bathroom Scale with Extra Large Lighted Display, 400 PoundFit Simplify Resistance Loop Exercise 5 Bands with Instructional Booklet ,Carry Bag, eBook and Online Videos
The above steps should allow you to avoid any preventable weight loss plateaus as well as overcome any natural ones you may exercise. The best advice to remember when suffering from a plateau is to keep at it and do not give up!
How do you handle a weight loss plateau?